High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Café and Events Manager
Title: Café and Events Manager
Classification: Salaried, regular full-time exempt
Reports To: Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Supervises: Café and Events staff
Salary: $48,000+ DOE
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, was a 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Sciences finalist and is a Smithsonian Affiliate. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious, and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
The Café and Events Manager oversees the museum’s food and beverage operations and leads the department’s management team and service staff. Operations include the museum-inspired, casual-service Rimrock Café and an Events program providing catering and event service for private, corporate, wedding, and internal events.
Required Skills and Experience
This is a unique position which requires a diverse blend of skills and experiences. While the list below represents those possessed by the ideal candidate, it is possible to be highly qualified for this position without possessing all of these skills and requirements. Candidates will be evaluated on their own blend of skills and experience and their ability to learn and grow into the position, as necessary.
- A passion for food and beverage, and the creativity and personality to stir this passion in others
- Experience in restaurant/hospitality management or event planning
- Minimum of three years of experience in a supervisory role, preferably leading a team of managers and employees
- Extensive experience in customer service, preferably in the food and beverage industry
- Ability to plan and execute events of various sizes, while coordinating with internal and external partners
- Budget and inventory management skills and experience
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively represent the museum in client and vendor relationships
- Previous experience operating and managing a POS system
- An understanding of wine and beverage selection, cost management, and food pairing
- Possession of basic food preparation skills, preferably with proven kitchen experience
- The willingness and humility to jump into the dish room as necessary
- High school diploma or GED; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Current OLCC & Food Handler certification or willingness and ability to obtain
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift to 40 pounds
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Department Oversight
- Maintains and executes the vision of a café and events department that is inspired by and part of the High Desert Museum
- Assists CFOO in preparing and managing annual department budgets
- Identifies program-based revenue opportunities and coordinates with museum program leads
- Leads the development of Event rental offerings and catering menus with Head Chef and Assistant Manager
- Manages beverage program to include selection, inventory management, staff training
- Leads the department management team in hiring decisions, in coordination with the Human Resources Manager
- Oversees department scheduling and monitors/approves employee paid time off and timesheets
- Assist in planning and coordination of Museum internal events, including member openings, programs, lectures and other gatherings
- Café Supervision
- Oversee daily café operations, to include opening and closing manager duties
- Provides support to the café team with daily operations, to include cashiering, daily food preparation, preparing/cooking customer orders, dining room maintenance, and general cleaning duties
- Trains new employees, and provides ongoing training for all café staff, in front of house service procedures
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Please send resume and cover letter to the High Desert Museum, attention Human Resources.