High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Café Associate
Title: Café Associate
Classification: Part-time hourly, nonexempt
Reports To: Café Manager
Salary: $14.00 an hour plus tips
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is a Smithsonian Affiliate, was the 2019 recipient of the Western Museums Association’s Charles Redd Award for Exhibition Excellence and was awarded the 2021 National Medal for Museum and Library Services. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
Job Summary – Café Associate
The Café Associate is responsible for greeting customers in the cafe, cooking food based on orders, cashiering, helping bus tables, some dishwashing, receiving and checking in product, and cleaning as needed in accordance with all Health & Safety Standards. We are looking for someone approximately 24 hours per week. Must be able to work 8:30am-4pm and at least one weekend day, likely Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to excellence, customer service, integrity and teamwork. Other qualifications will include:
- Previous experience working cash register
- Experience or willingness to learn cooking skills
- Ability to project a welcoming, cheerful attitude
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Food Handler card
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Ability to work flexible hours and days including weekends
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift up to 40 pounds
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide incredible customer service at every point of contact
- Perform daily café cashiering, ensuring security of cash throughout each business day
- Prepare and cook food based on menu selection and daily specials
- Receive and check-in product as necessary
- Follow proper food handling procedures, possess basic knowledge in the use and maintenance of various kitchen operations including but not limited to the grill, oven, microwave, etc.
- Take visitors’ food orders using the highest quality customer service including cross promotion of museum events and programs
- Relay visitor comments, suggestions and requests to appropriate staff. Answer general museum questions as able, relaying others to appropriate staff or volunteers
- Assist with bussing the tables, dishwashing and keeping the café clean and stocked
- Properly store food at the end of the day in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage, portion and wrap the food, or place it directly on plates for service to patrons
- Support closing duties, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, returning equipment to proper locations, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist
- Waive meal period as needed during shift. The employee has an opportunity to consume food during shifts of six hours or longer and will be paid for any meal period in which the employee is not relieved of all duty.
- Comply with all Museum policies, procedures and safety regulations including strict adherence to all Health & Safety Standards
- Embrace, support and help implement the Museum’s continued learning and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion
- Execute other duties as assigned as needed to help abide by the Museum’s values, drive our vision and fulfill our mission
The successful applicant will be an outgoing, friendly, team player and must be detailed-oriented while multi-tasking. They must have a high degree of energy and enthusiasm for a visitor-service oriented organization.
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above job description in its entirety and am capable of performing all of the stated requirements.
Employee Signature Date
Please send resume and cover letter to the High Desert Museum, attention Human Resources.