High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Central Services Technician
Title: Central Services Technician
Classification: Non-exempt, regular full-time
Reports To: Facilities Manager
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is a Smithsonian Affiliate, was the 2019 recipient of the Western Museums Association’s Charles Redd Award for Exhibition Excellence and was awarded the 2021 National Medal for Museum and Library Services. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
Job Summary – Central Services Technician
The Central Service Technician is responsible for maintaining the facility cleanliness, supporting events, and light maintenance of The High Desert Museum, while maintaining the safety, efficacy, and morale of the custodial team. Work hours may include both daytime and evening shifts and include weekends. Times may vary due to events.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Custodial experience.
- Valid Oregon driver’s license.
- Able to fulfill the physical requirements of the position.
- Able to work alone.
- Self-motivated and maintains a positive and pleasant attitude
- Able to follow schedules.
- Able to handle chemical cleaning agents safely.
- Able to work flexible hours and days.
- Possesses an above average sense of detail and cleanliness.
- Has a helpful and willing attitude
- Takes pride in being of service to both visitors and co-workers.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Clean and maintain all visitor areas, exhibit areas, snack area, restrooms and offices as assigned.
- Pick up all litter and trash throughout the facility and grounds.
- Monitor and fill all paper dispensers in restrooms and maintenance areas.
- Wash all windows and glass in public areas inside and out on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Maintain and clean all floors including aggregate, carpet and vinyl.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors. Repair tile grout as needed.
- Clean and dust all furniture, fixtures, lights, trim work, and exhibits on a regular basis.
- Clean all entries, entryways, and floor mats regularly.
- Handle all chemical cleaning products in a safe responsible manner
- Perform closing procedures including locking doors/lights, securing front gate, and arming alarms.
- Work effectively with Events Manger to coordinate event set-up & breakdown including chairs, tables, bars, stage, audio system, HVAC, lighting, and clean-up afterwards.
- Use broom and blowers to clean pathways, and shovels to remove snow from sidewalks.
- Remove snow with plow truck, snow blower, Kubota, and shovels. Sand/salt pathways as needed.
- Perform light facility maintenance and change lightbulbs and lamps as needed.
- Safely move heavy objects manually, using hand truck or a pallet jack.
- Comply with all Museum policies, procedures and safety regulations.
- Effectively work with Central Service team to ensure a high level of cleanliness is maintained.
- Work with other departments in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned by the Chief of Facilities.
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above job description in its entirety and am capable of performing all of the stated requirements.
Employee Signature Date
Please send resume and cover letter to Human Resources.