High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Grant Writer
Title: Grant Writer
Classification: Full-time Salary Exempt
Reports To: Program Development Manager
Salary: $40,000 + DOE
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is a Smithsonian Affiliate, was the 2019 recipient of the Western Museums Association’s Charles Redd Award for Exhibition Excellence and was awarded the 2021 National Medal for Museum and Library Services. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious, and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
Job Summary – Grant Writer
This position is an integral member of the development team and will offer critical support to achieve the aggressive fundraising goals of the organization. The Grant Writer will be responsible for researching and writing grant proposals, reports and other donor materials.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to excellence, innovation, integrity and teamwork. Other critical areas of evaluation will include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher or equivalent job experience
- Three years’ experience intensive writing and project management experience preferred
- Computer fluency and strong analytic and operating abilities with databases
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and written and oral communication skills with an attention to detail as well as the big picture. Ability to work independently and as part of a team, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with fellow employees, volunteers and the general public
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work closely with all Museum departments to understand Museum programs and visitor experiences and to provide up-to-date and engaging content for donors and foundations
- Develop and write grant proposals and reports for foundations and governmental agencies
- Collaborate with various departments, such as programs, finance and communications, to gather necessary information for grant proposals and reports
- Write and manage foundation correspondence, including thank you letters
- Research foundations, corporations, and governmental agencies to identify new funding opportunities
- Maintain current records in database, including grant tracking and reporting
- Conduct other duties as assigned
- Embrace, support, and help implement the Museum’s continued learning and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion
- Execute other duties as assigned as needed to help abide by the Museum’s values, drive our vision, and fulfill our mission
The High Desert Museum is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
The High Desert Museum wildly excites and responsibly teaches through innovative, interdisciplinary experiences, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert
Please send resume & cover letter to the High Desert Museum,