High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Graphic Designer
Title: Graphic Designer
Classification: Salaried, regular full-time exempt
Reports To: Director of Communications
Supervises: Associated volunteers
Salary: $42,000 + DOE
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Now nearing our 40th anniversary, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, was a 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Sciences finalist and is a Smithsonian Affiliate. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, more than 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
Job Summary – Graphic Designer
The graphic designer, a member of a four-person Communications team, is responsible for conceptualizing, coordinating and executing visual solutions in a manner that elevates the Museum’s brand and the visitor’s experience. The graphic designer is a visual storyteller who is able to work independently, creating pieces from scratch with input from the Director of Communications and other colleagues. These projects include promotional materials, advertising campaigns, fundraising collateral, invitations, interior and exterior signage, website elements and digital collateral. The chosen candidate will be an experienced and versatile designer who is collaborative, flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment. This person will also be committed to the Museum’s mission. This is a full-time, salaried position and will require occasional attendance at evening and weekend events.
We recognize and honor that the qualifications required to excel in this position can come from a range of both professional and lived experiences. Below we describe what we believe to be important qualifications for a candidate to have while remaining open to the diversity of experiences that can lead to these skill sets. Position descriptions are often presented in a way that leaves qualified candidates feeling unwelcome, intimidated, uncomfortable and/or unqualified to apply. Recognizing that, we strongly encourage anyone who feels passionate about this work and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience with an emphasis in graphic design, interactive design or a related field
- Minimum of two years of professional work experience with a strong portfolio that demonstrates creativity, innovation, conceptual thinking, strong design ability, layout and typographic skills
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in an accurate, engaging and understandable way for the general public
- Strong knowledge of industry-standard software applications including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat
- Strong project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects, vendors and deadlines simultaneously
- Knowledge of pre-press print production processes
- Commitment to ensuring quality on projects from material selection to final approval
- Ability to use large-format printers, laminators, etc. as needed
- Microsoft Office suite, Powerpoint
- Familiarity with museums, cultural organizations and/or nonprofit organizations
- Understanding and connection to the High Desert’s natural and cultural landscape
- Previous experience in exhibit design and materials
- Video production and editing
- Email template creation
- Web development experience
- WordPress experience
- Photography experience
- Interest in and commitment to the Museum’s mission
- Commitment to workplace excellence, precision, accuracy and timeliness
- Desire to find creative solutions with limited resources
- Ability to operate under pressure and develop realistic solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Positive attitude with an openness to feedback
- Team player with a “can do” attitude, eagerness to learn and a sense of humor!
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work within the Museum’s graphic standards, style guidelines and at times templates to develop collateral for all departments
- Conceptualize and create collateral from scratch for all departments as needed, including digital collateral for web and social media
- Work with Collections and Exhibits staff to develop and fabricate exhibit graphics as needed
- Print and install general Museum and event-related signage, including various large-format, self-adhesive and laminated media
- Ensure appropriate archiving of projects for institutional memory purposes
- Advise departments with visual requests and assist with establishing project plans and timelines
- Connect with local vendors to coordinate printing process including material selection, quality control, vendor relations and final approval
- Track department supplies and communications materials, reordering as needed
- Execute other duties as assigned by Director of Communications and/or Executive Director
- Embrace, support and help implement the Museum’s continued learning and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion
- Execute other duties as assigned by Director of Communications and/or Executive Director needed to help drive to our vision, fulfill our mission and abide by our organization’s values
The High Desert Museum is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The High Desert Museum wildly excites and responsibly teaches through innovative, interdisciplinary experiences, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
Please send a resume, cover letter and portfolio materials to the High Desert Museum at