High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Head Chef
Title: Head Chef
Classification: Salaried, regular full-time exempt
Reports To: Café and Events Manager
Supervises: Café and Events staff
Salary: $38,000+ DOE
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, was a 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Sciences finalist and is a Smithsonian Affiliate. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious, and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
The Head Chef supports the museum’s food and beverage operations along with the Café & Events Manager and Assistant Manager. Operations include the museum-inspired, casual-service Rimrock Café and an Events program providing catering and event service for private, corporate, wedding, and internal events. The Head Chef serves as the culinary leader for the Museum, while providing supervisory support of the daily operations of the café.
Required Skills and Experience
This is a unique position which requires a diverse blend of skills and experiences. While the list below represents those possessed by the ideal candidate, it is possible to be highly qualified for this position without possessing all of these skills and requirements. Candidates will be evaluated on their own blend of skills and experience and their ability to learn and grow into the position, as necessary.
- A passion for food and beverage, and the creativity and personality to stir this passion in others
- Demonstrated knowledge of culinary techniques and practices
- Experience developing daily, seasonal, and catering menus and recipes
- Experience in banquet/catering food preparation
- Understanding of inventory management and cost control strategies
- Service experience in the restaurant, hospitality, or event planning industries
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively represent the museum in client and vendor relationships
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and effectively resolve customer issues or complaints
- Previous experience operating and managing a POS system is preferred
- The willingness and humility to jump into the dish room as necessary
- High school diploma or GED; culinary degree preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Current OLCC & Food Handler certification or willingness and ability to obtain
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift to 40 pounds
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Menu Development
- Develop and plan seasonal menus, daily specials, and banquet/catering offerings
- Manage food costing and inventory
- Kitchen Management
- Create prep lists for café staff
- Maintain standards for food storage, rotation, quality, and appearance
- Establish maintenance and cleaning schedules for equipment, storage, and work areas
- Ensure compliance with applicable health codes and regulations
- Café Leadership
- Assist in leading, mentoring, and managing the café team, with a focus on developing the team’s culinary skills.
- Participate in the interview process and selection of cafe staff.
- Establish production and staff schedules to ensure timely delivery of food service.
- Obtain feedback on food and service quality, and handle customer problems and complaints.
- Participate in the development of and adherence to budgetary objectives for the café.
- Meet with customers as needed to arrange menu items and negotiate prices for catered weddings, banquets, and other special events.
- Oversee daily café operations as needed, to include opening and closing manager duties
- Provides support to the café team with daily operations, to include cashiering, daily food preparation, preparing/cooking customer orders, dining room maintenance, and general cleaning duties
- Other duties as assigned.
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Please send resume and cover letter to the High Desert Museum, attention Human Resources.