High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Kitchen Lead
Title: Kitchen Lead
Classification: Hourly, regular full-time exempt
Reports To: Café and Events Manager
Salary Range: $15 an hour plus tips
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, THE HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is a Smithsonian Affiliate, was the 2019 recipient of the Western Museums Association’s Charles Redd Award for Exhibition Excellence and was awarded the 2021 National Medal for Museum and Library Services. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious, and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
The Kitchen Lead at the Rim Rock Café works closely with the Café and Events Manager to ensure that the café runs smoothly. They oversee the preparation of food according to the pre-established recipes/menu. The Kitchen Lead will ensure that inventory is monitored and waste management is done correctly.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- In-depth knowledge of kitchen health and safety regulations
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in restaurant management or certification from culinary school is preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict management abilities.
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Order materials, supplies, and ingredients based on demand.
- Supervise kitchen employees and organize food orders.
- Oversee the food preparation and cooking process.
- Train kitchen employees in designated stations.
- Monitor inventory levels and perform daily, weekly and monthly inventory assessments.
- Work with the café & events manager to price and change menu items.
- Store all food products in compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and organized.
- Maintain weekly and monthly cost reports.
- Submit Invoices to café and events manager on a daily basis.
- Embrace, support, and help implement the Museum’s continued learning and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion
- Execute other duties as assigned as needed to help abide by the Museum’s values, drive our vision, and fulfill our mission
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The High Desert Museum wildly excites and responsibly teaches through innovative, interdisciplinary experiences, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert
Please send resume and cover letter to the High Desert Museum