High Desert Museum Job Opportunity – Visitor Safety and Security Specialist
Title: Visitor Safety and Security Specialist
Division: Visitor Services
Classification: Hourly, part-time, nonexempt
Reports To: Visitor Services Manager
Salary Range: $20.00 per hour
High Desert Museum – Organization Description
Since opening in 1982, HIGH DESERT MUSEUM has brought together wildlife, culture, art and natural resources to promote an understanding of the natural and cultural heritage of North America’s High Desert country. We do so through indoor and outdoor exhibits, wildlife in natural habitats, living history demonstrations and dynamic programs on a beautiful, 135-acre campus in the pine forest. The Museum is a nonprofit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is a Smithsonian Affiliate, was the 2019 recipient of the Western Museums Association’s Charles Redd Award for Exhibition Excellence and was awarded the 2021 National Medal for Museum and Library Services. During the 2018-19 fiscal year, 195,000 visitors enjoyed the Museum.
The Museum is located in Bend, Oregon, a fast-growing, charismatic city nestled against the Cascade Range at the edge of the High Desert. We strive to be inclusive, culturally humble, relevant, curious, and mindful. As a team, we work together to wildly excite and responsibly teach, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert.
The High Desert Museum is seeking a Visitor Safety and Security Specialist to join our team! In this role, you will assist with maintaining public safety, keeping a secure environment, and helping Museum visitors in various highly dynamic environments.
Importantly, we recognize and honor that the qualifications required to excel in this position can come from professional and lived experiences. Below we describe what we believe to be important qualifications for a candidate while remaining open to the diversity of experiences that can lead to these skill sets. Position descriptions are often presented in a way that leaves qualified candidates feeling unwelcome, intimidated, uncomfortable and/or unqualified to apply. Recognizing that, we strongly encourage anyone who feels passionate about this work and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role to apply.
Experience and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong customer service skills
- Experience in crowd management situations
- Experience or skilled in de-escalating stressful interactions
- Must obtain and maintain a minimum of CPR and Basic First Aid certifications as training is provided
- Experienced or skilled in Museum interpretation or educational engagement
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the security function and reporting duties
- Ability to remain calm in high-pressure situations
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within the first three months of employment, a valid Oregon driver’s license to operate High Desert Museum vehicles
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide customer service to our visitors by carrying out safety and security procedures, site-specific policies and, when appropriate, emergency response activities
- Routinely walk all buildings and grounds of Museum property, to promote visitor safety and security.
- Respond to emergencies on Museum property such as medical emergencies, lost persons, alarms, etc, provide care and direction within the scope of training, and coordinate with emergency responders
- Ensure guest behavioral guidelines are being observed
- Report potential building fire and safety code violations to the safety committee as appropriate for follow-up and reinforcement of training and compliance standards
- Document in a written report any security-related incidents, or medical responses occurring at or related to the High Desert Museum property
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of the Museum’s exhibits and programs, as well as common information about the High Desert
- Embrace, support, and help implement the Museum’s continued learning and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion
- Execute other duties as assigned as needed to help abide by the Museum’s values, drive our vision, and fulfill our mission
The Museum provides an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The High Desert Museum wildly excites and responsibly teaches through innovative, interdisciplinary experiences, creating connection to and dialogue about the High Desert
Please send resume and cover letter to the High Desert Museum, attention Human Resources.