Feeding squirrels can result in habituation, which causes conflict with humans. When humans and wildlife come into conflict, it’s never good for the animals.
- Feeding squirrels can make them more bold and aggressive.
- Bold squirrels and chipmunks like to go where they don’t belong such as Museum buildings and outdoor eating areas.
- Human food can make them sick.
- They can scratch and bite exposing people to dangerous diseases.
- Squirrels and chipmunks can threaten the wildlife in museum care by entering enclosures and spreading disease.